Professionals Real News

Saving where you can is key to profitability, but trying to cut corners can ruin your property and cause it to depreciate in value. So, what should you DIY, and what should you leave to the experts? Property educator Cherie Barber of Renovating For Profit believes that some aspects of a renovation can be done DIY, but others should not be touched by amateurs. “You can DIY some works, so I always say part of your renovation, not all of your renovation. If most home owners are trying to tackle their renovation, the whole renovation DIY themselves, it’s likely to end up in disaster,” Ms Barber said to Smart Property Investment. “It’s impossible for the average Joe on the street … to be a great painter, it’s impossible for them to be a great tiler, a great floor sander, a great carpenter, so when you do all of the work [DIY], what suffers is the quality control level on your property. “Buyers and renters aren’t stupid; a dodgy property won’t sell, it’ll actually devalue your property. So, what I always say is know what works you should DIY and what works you shouldn’t DIY.” According to Ms Barber, the following are what you should not and what you should DIY: What you should not DIY Firstly, tasks involving electrical or plumbing should not be attempted, Ms Barber said, as to do so would be illegal, not to mention the consequences of getting these things wrong. “Things like tiling, you should leave to a professional tiler. Floor sanding should be left to a professional floor sander. Things like cement rendering, an average Joe should never attempt to cement render their house – it’s going to look like a really bad baked cake,” Ms Barber said. What you can DIY The more aesthetic choices of a property can easily be DIYed if investors are looking to save a bit of cash, Ms Barber recommended. “There are certain changes that you can make that the average person can do successfully, things like painting, painting your house internally, most Australians can handle that,” she said. “I wouldn’t recommend painting your house externally, because externally you have a lot of high spots and most people aren’t used to working up on a ladder. “Things like paving paint, painting a driveway, laminate painting or tile painting your bathroom, those changes you can do DIY. Planting plants, laying turf, they’re the sort of things you can be doing DIY if budget is truly on the tight side.” As for everything else, Ms Barber recommended leaving any other task for licensed qualified tradespeople. Source: Western Australia’s Building Regulations 2012 require owners of residential dwellings to have compliant smoke alarms installed prior to the sale, transfer of ownership, rent or hire of the dwelling. Changes to the Regulations that come into effect on 22 January 2018 provide an exemption for owners who are transferring ownership to a person intending to demolish the dwelling. This means the current owner of a dwelling that is subject to transfer of ownership may choose not to install smoke alarms if the new owner has provided them with a declaration of intended demolition before the transfer of ownership. A declaration of intended demolition is a statutory declaration made by the new owner, declaring they intend to demolish the dwelling within six months of the transfer day (the day ownership is transferred). A statutory declaration is a written statement that the maker (the new owner) signs and declares to be true before an authorised witness. Further information about statutory declarations is available on the Department of Justice website . If the property is not demolished, the new owner must install the required number of smoke alarms within six months of the transfer. Prior owners would have a defence against a charge of not installing smoke alarms prior to the transfer of the dwelling’s ownership if they can prove the new owner gave them a declaration of intended demolition for the dwelling before the transfer day. Important: This does not remove the requirement for the new owner to install smoke alarms should he or she subsequently decide to rent or hire the dwelling after the transfer. The Building Regulations 2012 are available on the State Law Publisher’s website . A general Smoke alarm laws publication is available on the Building Commission website and has been updated to reflect these changes. Source: What to Avoid When DIYing Smoke Alarm Exemption for Dwellings Proposed for Demolition